Welcome to my first blog!

Hello everyone! I am a student from San Diego, California participating in the 10 week study abroad program in Buenos Aires, Argentina offered by San Diego City College in collaboration with Expanish.

As I fumble my way through the city streets - yes folks, I will NOT be driving the entire stay!!! :) - learning the castellano version of Spanish, snacking on scrumptious empanadas, and haggling at the weekend street fairs I shall be documenting my adventures so those of you at home can share the experience of..."A Student's Life in Argentina"!

Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Experimenting at El Sanguichito- Sept 14, 2010



After my last class on Tuesday, I had a strange craving for choripan (grilled Argentine sausage tucked into a warmed bread roll). This is sure to clog my arteries and lessen my life expectancy in the short amount of time I will be here in Buenos Aires. It's piling on the chimichurri I look forward to the most really. It's a combination of olive oil, some type of herb -parsley or oregano most likely, garlic and who knows what else but it is a gatronomical delight. El Sanguichito, the fabulous hole-in-the-wall eatery I was introduced to last week, makes a picante version of chimichurri with the addition of red pepper flakes. For those of you back in SD reading this, El Sanguichito is the Argentine version of a 24 hour taco shop. The food is cheap, greasy, and filling.

Upon reaching this hub of heart-stopping treats, I am saddened to discover they have already run out of choripan for the day. I am at a loss...I settle on a superpancho con papas (partially cooked hot dog with bits of fried potato piled on top). Lounging on the second floor with other gals from Expanish, an interesting theory is proposed. Supposedly, beer helps to ease one's mood and allows for better studying. I was headed home for the day to study until dinner so I decided to test this hypothesis and took a hearty gulp from a classmate's plastic cup filled with Stella Artois...

Photos
Left: Sarah and Crystal at El Sanguichito
Right: Romina (my new roommate from the Italian part of Switzerland) and two other students from Expanish

No comments:

Post a Comment