Welcome to my first blog!

Hello everyone! I am a student from San Diego, California participating in the 10 week study abroad program in Buenos Aires, Argentina offered by San Diego City College in collaboration with Expanish.

As I fumble my way through the city streets - yes folks, I will NOT be driving the entire stay!!! :) - learning the castellano version of Spanish, snacking on scrumptious empanadas, and haggling at the weekend street fairs I shall be documenting my adventures so those of you at home can share the experience of..."A Student's Life in Argentina"!

Enjoy!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

878 - Sept 16, 2010




What used to be a speakeasy is now a trendy restaurant-bar also known for it's bountiful selection of whiskey (they boast 80 different kinds!). The music selection is what piqued my interest. According to Lonely Planet's Buenos Aires city guide, this spot tends to play a mix of jazz and bossa nova. Bereft of any signage indicating its presence in a mostly residential area bordering Villa Crespo and Palermo, it can only be identified by the address number 878 on the door, hence the name.

Walking towards the location, I monitored the numbers adhered to the walls of the old buildings lining the uneven, cobblestoned sidewalks to make sure I was headed in the right direction. Outside the doors to this mysterious locale was a man in black slacks, a gray blazer and a white shirt, no tie. "Buenas noches", he said as he pulled out a key to open the door. Once inside, I am taken by the red walls, high ceilings and low lighting. Couches and loveseats are intermingled with tables throughout the spacious room. It is already a quarter past eleven on a Thursday night but the place is still comfortably full.

Several of the students from the SD City College group had made the journey to visit this particular spot at my urging and we eventually moved from the bar to a more comfortable lounge area to chat while enjoying a drink. Bossa nova was heard more readily after the dinner crowd left at around 12:30am. What a gem! I'm definitely visiting again before I leave Buenos Aires.

Photos
Left: Exterior of 878
Top right: Interior facing the doors of 878
Bottom right: Most of the group from that night from left to right - Esteban, me, Crystal, David, Kirsten, Rachel, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment